- The Recording Studio is a dedicated space for video and audio recording only.
- The Booker must provide a valid West Vancouver Memorial Library membership upon presentation at the scheduled booking time at the CCC desk on the Lower floor.
- The Booker must have a WVML library card in good standing (not expired and with less than $20 in fines), and the Booker will assume responsibility for the equipment.
- The Booker agrees to the Recording Studio Terms and Conditions of Use prior to their booking and must attend one WVML Recording Studio Orientation prior to their first booking.
- There are instruments that the recording studio may not be able to accommodate (e.g. drums, loud amplifiers, etc.).
- The term “Recording Studio” refers to both the Live Room and Control Room.
- Bookings are on a first-come, first-served basis and are not confirmed until WVML staff provides notification.
- The maximum occupancy of the Recording Studio is six: two-person maximum occupancy for the control room and four-person maximum occupancy for the live room. The number of attendees in the Recording Studio will not exceed these maximum capacities and exits will be kept clear.
- Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance, and a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
- Drop-ins may be accommodated, at the discretion of Library staff.
- Session times will not exceed 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Patrons under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult 19 years older who has booked the Recording Studio and agreed to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
- The Booker can have a maximum of two booked sessions per month.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel a booking under special circumstances with reasonable notice.
- If, in the opinion of the Library staff, the use of the Recording Studio by any group presents, or potentially presents, a risk of significant disruption to Library users, Library staff or Library property, then Library Staff shall have the discretion to refuse or cancel such a booking.
- The Recording Studio must not be left unattended while reserved and in use. The Booker must notify staff if they need to leave the Studio (even if others are present from their group). If vacated for more than 15 minutes, WVML has the sole and absolute discretion to remove the Booker’s and other belongings without assuming responsibility or liability thereof and to reassign the room to an available status.
- Bookers will arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the booking.
- The Last 15 minutes of a booking are reserved for tidying the space, leaving it in its original condition, and checking in any borrowed gear at the CCC Desk.
Booker Cancellation and No-Shows
- Booker cancellation of a booking requires 48 hours advance notice or will result in a charge to the user’s library account.
- Reservations will be held for 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, after which point the reservation will be considered a no-show and the reservation will be removed.
- Two no-shows will result in a 3-month suspension from Recording Studio booking privileges.
Space and Equipment
- Recording studio equipment can only be used onsite and may not leave the Library premises.
- Any outside materials or equipment used in the Recording Studio must be pre-approved by Library staff.
- Bookers are responsible for saving their session files on an external memory device or cloud provider. Recording Studio computers will not retain session files.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse any request for use of equipment in the Recording Studio.
- The Booker Is responsible for and must return any borrowed equipment at the end of their session.
- Equipment will be returned in the same condition in which it was issued, barring normal wear and tear, and agree to pay the costs associated with the equipment damage, loss, or cleaning, if the Booker’s intentional or negligent actions caused the damage or loss.
- Be held liable should any damage be incurred to either the space or the equipment resulting from the lack of knowledge, familiarity, or training with the space, and the equipment occupying the space.
- Any damage to personal equipment, digital files, or instruments during booked studio time is not the responsibility of the WVML or library staff, nor WVML or any staff member be held liable in such a case.
- Will immediately report any known damage/wear/defect/issue with equipment or the space itself.
The Library may deny or cancel a booking, in the following circumstances:
- The Booker has previously damaged or misused the premises or Library property.
- The Booker has contravened the Library Terms and Conditions of Use in the past and the Library reasonably believes this will occur again.
- The Booker has made a material misrepresentation regarding the booking, the proposed use, or any participants, or attendees.
- Any persons may be refused entry or be removed from the Recording Studio for any behaviors unsuitable to the space.
- No food or drinks of any kind are permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, and smoking, vaping, or open flames are not permitted on Library premises. No group using the Recording Studio may engage in any unlawful or illegal behaviour under any law of the Province or the Country including those specified in the Criminal Code and under human rights legislation.
- Library staff are not recording experts and are available for limited assistance.
- The Recording Studio is a learning environment; patrons are encouraged to book an appointment, take a class, or review the resources provided on the Library website.
- Is responsible for securing all applicable permissions and licenses for the user, publication, transmittal, distribution, and display of all material used in the Recording Studio, whether written, audio, visual, or audio-visual. The Booker is also responsible for the payment of all fees, royalties, and other charges that are required to be paid in respect of copyright, trademark, industrial design, or any other intellectual property of any kind.
- Understands that, The Library, by permitting the Booker to use the Recording Studio, does not in any way endorse any particular usage. Any advertising or promotion in the Recording Studio may solely refer to the Library Recording Studio as being the venue and may in no way imply that the Library either sponsors or endorses the Renter or the particular usage; nor is the Booker ever required to credit the Library Recording Studio as the recording venue.
- Shall indemnify and save harmless the District of West Vancouver and the West Vancouver Memorial Library, their trustees, officers, employees, agents, licensees and contractors (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) from and against all claims, demands, suits, actions, damages, fees, losses, liabilities, proceedings, costs and expenses, including without limitation legal fees and disbursements on a solicitor and own client basis, personal injury and/or illness including death and loss or damage to property (all of the foregoing, collectively, the “Claims”), by whosoever brought, incurred, or made and arising out of or in connection with or related to, whether directly or indirectly, the following, except to the extent that any damage, loss or injury is caused by the gross negligence of the District of West Vancouver or the West Vancouver Memorial Library:
- The rental of the Recording Studio by the Booker;
- The Booker’s breach of any of the provisions set out in these Terms and Conditions of Use; or
- Any advertisements or promotions posted by the Booker or submitted by the Booker to the Library which the Library posts on its premises or on its website; or
- The Booker’s violation of any third-party rights, including without limitation, any intellectual property, personal property or privacy right.
The Booker has read the above and accepts, understands, and agrees to be legally bound by the Terms and Conditions of Use with respect to renting the Recording Studio at the Library. Failure to abide by any of the Terms and Conditions of Use may result in the refusal or cancellation of a booking or being denied access to the Recording Studio at that time and in the future.
By accepting these terms, you represent and warrant that you are, or are an authorized representative of, the Booker.