Movie Matinée: Picking Up the Pieces: The Making of the Witness Blanket
February 17, 2024 at 2 p.m.–3:30 p.m.Free
Inspired to know more about his father’s time at residential school, artist Carey Newman created the Witness Blanket – a national monument that commemorates the experiences of residential school survivors. The blanket is constructed from hundreds of everyday items collected from residential schools, churches, government buildings and cultural structures across Canada. Each object has a story to tell; each survivor has something to say. Narrated by the artist, this film weaves together those stories with his personal journey, examining how art can open our hearts to the pain of truth and the beauty of resiliency.
This movie is not rated.
Doors open at 1:30 p.m.
The movie starts at 2 p.m.
Movie run time: 87 minutes
More Movie Matinées:
- Saturday, December 16: The Sound of Music
- Saturday, January 13: White Bird: A Wonder Story
- Saturday, January 27: Asteroid City
- Saturday, February 10: Brother
- Saturday, February 24: A Quiet Girl (An Cailín Ciúin)
- Saturday, March 9: Oppenheimer
- Saturday, March 23: Barbie