Just in time for summer, our newly refurbished courtyard is set to open. To commemorate the occasion, the Library is holding an opening reception and lemonade toast on Friday, June 5 at 4 p.m. in the courtyard. Invited guests include West Vancouver Mayor and Council, members of the West Vancouver Memorial Library Board, Foundation and Friends, District of West Vancouver Executive, Library staff, the project architects at SHAPE Architecture, and interested members of the public.
“This is an exciting day for our Library,” says Director of Library Services Jenny Benedict. “Our lovely new courtyard provides an attractive and comfortable outdoor space in which to read, connect to our Wi-Fi, work on a project with a colleague or have a cup of coffee with a friend. We owe a huge thank you to the West Vancouver Memorial Library Foundation for making our new courtyard possible.”
The courtyard boasts the following amenities and improvements:
- Space for 18 visitors in three types of seating: high top, study and lounge tables
- Improved appearance both for courtyard users and patrons viewing it from inside the Library
- Flexible furnishings that can be rearranged for a variety of purposes
- A partial canopy for coverage on damp days
- A level ground plane with enhanced irrigation and drainage
- An attractive flooring pattern and vegetation
- Ambient lighting during the evenings
The reception will include speeches from the Library and Foundation Boards, a ribbon cutting ceremony, a lemonade stand and snacks.
David Carson, Communications and Event Coordinator