Tell Your Story Anthology: Celebrating Our Essential Heroes
Tell Your Story gives young writers and artists in West Vancouver the chance to turn their original projects into real ebooks that can be checked out by anyone with a WVML card. Now, more than ever, we want to foster creativity, artistic expression and connection and give young creators a platform to share their work.
Our first Anthology, Tell Your Story: A Community of Care, featuring dozens of pieces by West Vancouver youth, is publishing soon. But we’re keen to get started on the next one: Tell Your Story: Celebrating Our Essential Heroes. This Anthology honours all the people who help keep our community running and safe, including (but not limited to): medical and healthcare workers, food vendors, transit operators, maintenance and facilities workers, educators or anyone else that has helped you get through this extraordinary time.
We invite you to submit a one-page piece (due June 17) that:
- Expresses what the work of these individuals means to you;
- Tells the story of how one (or more) of these people has made a difference to you or your family; or
- Expresses how your perceptions, values or understanding of these workers has changed.
We can accept submissions:
- Created using digital creation methods like Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Canva or others
- As high-resolution photographs (of paintings, drawings, sculpture, collage or any other handmade medium).
If you live in West Vancouver (or attend a West Vancouver school) and want to publish your work in Tell Your Story: Celebrating Our Essential Heroes:
- Register below (please register each creator separately)
- Receive a confirmation email with more information within 48 hours of registering
- Attend the Anthology Kick-Off Meeting on Saturday, June 6 at 2 p.m. via Zoom. We will send you instructions on how to access this via Zoom. You are welcome to have a parent/guardian attend with you
- Receive full Submission Guidelines by email immediately following the Kick-Off Meeting
If you're an educator wanting to involve your class, you can sign up on behalf of all your students (just write CLASS by your name when you sign up; e.g. Pippi Longstocking CLASS).
Can’t attend the Kick-Off Meeting and still want to contribute? Still register below! An email address is required for registration so we can get in touch with you.
Tell Your Story is generously supported by the West Vancouver Memorial Library Foundation.
Follow @westvanlibrary on Instagram for storytimes, recommendations and tech tips every weekday.
For more information, contact us on LibraryConnect at 604.925.7400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is now fully registered. Please contact the Department listed above to ask if there is a waiting list.