- This event has passed.
TEDxWVML Countdown [VIRTUAL]
November 6, 2021
One event on November 7, 2021 at 12 a.m.
Watch TEDxCountdown on YOUTUBE HERE – starting Saturday, November 6 at 9 a.m.
Countdown is a global initiative to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis, turning ideas into action. The goal: To build a better future by cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 in the race to a zero-carbon world—a world that is safer, cleaner, and fairer for everyone. To make progress on climate action we need to collaborate on a global scale, and our community has a role to play.
Communities around the world are joining the Countdown initiative. We know your time is precious, so North Vancouver City Library, North Vancouver District Public Library, and West Vancouver Memorial Library have curated the BEST MOMENTS from this year’s four-day Countdown Summit*.
Can’t join us Saturday morning? Watch the recording on our YouTube channel anytime until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, November 7.
- Nicola Sturgeon – First Minister of Scotland. As the first woman to hold the office of First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon is an important progressive and feminist voice in the governance of the United Kingdom. (11mins)
- Gabriel Kra – ClimateTech investor. A scientist, entrepreneur and founder of Prelude Ventures, Gabriel Kra invests in solar energy, hydrogen, plant-based food, storage and other climate technologies. (12.5 mins)
- Jamey Stillings – Photographer. He photographs big-scale renewable energy installations. (3 mins)
- Johan Rockstrom – Climate impact scholar. A co-developer of the planetary boundaries framework, Johan Rockström works to understand Earth’s resilience. (8 mins)
- Jim Hagemann Snabe – Chairman, Maersk and Siemens. Jim Hagemann Snabe is the chairman of the world’s largest maritime shipping company, A.P. Møller – Mærsk, and of industrial giant Siemens. (11.5 mins)
- Monica Araya – Electrification advocate. Monica Araya works with leaders in government, business, philanthropy, and activism to accelerate the shift towards emissions-free transportation. (11 mins)
- Rainn Wilson – Actor, comedian, podcaster and producer. As a climate change advocate, Rainn Wilson serves on the advisory board of Arctic Basecamp, an organization that brings the Arctic to the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting at Davos. He has created and served as the host for a climate change based documentary where he speaks with leading scientists and activists. (7 mins)
- Vishaan Chakrabarti – Architect and urbanist. Vishaan Chakrabarti believes that cities — if they are designed to be sustainable, equitable and joyous — are the best hope for humanity. (11.5 mins)
- Lucie Pinson – Financial responsibility campaigner. The founder of Reclaim Finance, Lucie Pinson works on turning off the tap of financing for coal and negotiating with banks and insurers on coal exit policies. (11.5 mins)
- Chibeze Ezekiel – Climate inclusion activist. Chibeze Ezekiel successfully led the campaign against the establishment of Ghana’s first coal-fired plant and advocates for local communities and young people to be at the heart of climate solutions. (6.5 mins)
- Short animation – Interstitial: Animation describing the sources of the 55 Gigatons (billion tons) of CO2-equivalent we put up in the atmosphere every year.
- Dan Jorgensen – Climate minister. Dan Jørgensen is the Minister for Climate, Energy and Utilities of Denmark, tasked with reducing the country’s emissions by 70 percent by 2030 and closing down its oil industry.
- Ilissa Ocko – Atmospheric scientist. A senior scientist at the Environmental Defense Fund, Ilissa Ocko works on climate impacts and mitigation with a particular focus on ways to immediately curb climate change. (1o mins)
- Mahendra Singhi – CEO, Dalmia Cement. Mahendra Singhi is the Managing Director and CEO of Dalmia Cement, a prominent cement manufacturing group in India targeting to become carbon-negative by 2040. (12.5 mins)
- Rachel Kyte – Sustainable development diplomat and activist. Rachel Kyte works to identify the path to clean systems and as the Dean of the Fletcher School at Tufts University focuses on preparing tomorrow’s leaders for a decarbonizing world. (11mins)
- Short film “Possible World” (Ezre Wube / LittleSun) (2.5 mins)
- Ryah Whalen – Consultant, innovator, avid traveler. As the Director of BCG Innovations at the Boston Consulting Group, Ryah Whalen incubates new businesses and ventures and is an expert on the international aviation sector. (9.5 mins)
- Gabrielle Walker – Writer, carbon removal thinker. The founder of Valence Solutions, Gabrielle Walker wants to catalyse faster change in hard-to-abate sectors and focuses on negative emissions and carbon removals. (9.5 mins)
- Gavin McCormick – High-tech environmental activist. Gavin McCormick is a co-founder of the Climate Trace coalition, which combines satellites and artificial intelligence to detect human-caused greenhouse gases from all major sources. (11 mins)
- Solitaire Townsend – Sustainability solution seeker. Co-founder and Chief Solutionist of global agency Futerra, Solitaire Townsend argues that the creative industries can’t be neutral in the face of the climate crisis. (9.5 mins)
- Lucas Joppa – Chief Environmental Officer, Microsoft. Scientist Lucas Joppa leads Microsoft’s sustainability strategy across its worldwide business and founded the company’s AI for Earth program. (10.5 mins)
- Shweta Narayan – Climate and health campaigner. From her base in India Shweta Narayan works on accelerating the role of health professionals in climate action as the International campaigner for Health Care Without Harm.
EXTRA: Youth activist confronts Shell CEO
- Ben van Beurden – CEO, Royal Dutch Shell. Ben van Beurden is the CEO of Royal Dutch Shell, the largest Europe-based oil and gas company. In 2020 it released a plan to cut emissions to net zero by 2050.
- Chris James – Entrepreneur and investor. Chris James co-founded Engine No. 1, an activist fund that successfully installed three new directors on the board of the US’ largest oil firm, ExxonMobil.
- Lauren MacDonald – Scottish climate activist.
- Christiana Figueres – Stubborn optimist. Christiana Figueres is an internationally recognized leader on climate action and steered the global diplomatic effort that culminated in the 2015 Paris Agreement.
What you’ll need: A computer with speakers (or headphones) or a TV with the YouTube app.
Register below to be sent a reminder and link to our exclusive Countdown YouTube Channel one day before the event.
Supported by the WVML Foundation.
*The TEDxCountdown Summit took place in Edinburgh, Scotland on October 12 – 15, 2021. Thank you to the TED organization for making these live recordings available to our community.