- This event has passed.
Creativebug: Outdoor Sketching in Watercolour with Sonia Mocnik
Saturday, July 24 at 11 a.m.–1 p.m.Free
Get to know our new database, Creativebug! Creativebug provides unlimited access to thousands of online art, craft, and textile classes.
Looking to learn some new watercolour techniques? Join artist Sonia Mocnik for a morning of outdoor painting on our beautiful Readers’ Rooftop Patio. Watch this Creativebug tutorial: Watercolour Painting in the Garden before the class to give you some background and inspiration. Participants should have some beginner watercolour knowledge and be comfortable being outdoors with watercolour materials.
This class will cover:
- A brief discussion of painting and sketching outside
- Discussion of colours for flowers and foliage
- Mirroring the Creativebug tutorial, time for instructor demo and participant practice
- Using the gardens and surrounding outdoors:
- First sketch with just watercolour – tree
- Easy landscape sketch
- Flower bed – loose and full of different colours and no background
- Individual flower with stem and leaf
Participants will need to bring the following supplies with them:
- Board with watercolour paper attached, any size. Watercolour sketch pad 140 lb cold press preferred (ie Opus Finest Watercolour sketch pad)
- Three brushes or water brush or plein air brush – suggested sizes are a large round 12 or 16, medium round of 10 or 8, 4 round or ¼” flat
- Paper towel
- Plastic holder with water
- Hat/sun glasses/sun screen/comfortable clothing
- A small palette of your preferred watercolours, suggested colours could be the following:
- hansa yellow light PY3
- New gamboge or gamboge hue PY4/Py42
- perm sap green PG36/PY110
- cobalt turquoise PB36
- quinacridone perm rose PV19
- french ultramarine blue PB29
- winsor blue (green shade) or phthalo blue PB15
- quinacridone burnt orange PO48
Sonia Mocnik is inspired by her surroundings; from cityscapes to the great outdoors. Vancouver born, she has always enjoyed creating some type of art. As a Watercolorist, Sonia paints with the colours that move her from an urban scene to nature’s blooms. The energy of each captured moment comes back through brushing watercolour onto paper. Blooms become larger, chairs become vibrant, and people add a sense of mystery. She wants to convey a story and hopes the emotion felt by the viewer when they see her paintings will speak to them and their emotional state of mind. She instructs watercolour classes online via Zoom, on YouTube, and through the West Vancouver Community Center. Sonia’s work can be found in private collections throughout Canada and internationally. She writes a blog on her website and is active on many social media feeds including Instagram and Facebook. Her studio is located with several artists at Portside Studios, 150 Mclean Drive, Vancouver, B.C. You can view her fabulous works here.
Looking to learn a new knitting technique? Check out another Creativebug-inspired class:
Creativebug: Beginner-Friendly Knit Slippers: July 29, 11:00am-12:30pm, Readers’ Rooftop Patio
For this in-person, outdoor program participants must:
- Maintain a physical distance of two metres from others
- Wear a face mask (if they are over 12 years old)
- Confirm that they do not have any COVID-19 symptoms
- Wash or sanitize their hands before the start of the program (sanitizer will be provided)
- Agree to these safety guidelines
*This program will take place outside on our Readers’ Rooftop, please come prepared for warm weather and sitting in the sun.