Welcome to the West Vancouver Memorial Library
If you're new to West Vancouver, allow us to help you get settled and feel at home.
To help you learn how you can use the Library, and the many services we offer, we have created Welcome to the Library, a five minute video. It is available in English, French, Farsi, Korean, Chinese, Tagalog and Japanese.
How do I join the Library?
Membership is free and easy. Show us some identification that includes your photo, name and current address—a driver's license, or a telephone bill and passport, for example—and we'll give you a free card! With a library card you can take material home and use our online resources.
What does the Library have to offer?
Events & ClasseS
Some ongoing programs new community members might like to know about:
- English Corner - English Corner is an enjoyable way to practise your English conversation skills. This intermediate-level program runs from September through June each year.
- English Conversation Circle - Improve your English skills by reading and discussing stories.
- Let's Talk - A weekly discussion group for English language learners interested in improving their listening and speaking skills. No registration required.
- Children's Storytimes - Bring your baby, two-year-old or toddler for a half-hour session of songs, rhymes, puppets and stories.
Library Champions - If you are new to Canada and enthusiastic about libraries, you can introduce other newcomers to the wealth of resources at public libraries.
We have a great collection of print and electronic resources:
- Books in English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Persian
- DVDs - including foreign films, documentaries, instructional programs
- Music CDs
- Popular magazines
- Newspapers from around the world
- Downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, and music
- Books on our Kindle e-readers
- Trained, qualified, helpful staff
- Public computers with Microsoft Office, Skype, scanners, and printers
- Comfortable spaces to meet, read, study, talk or work
English as a Second Language - our ESL webapge has links to resources and programs to help you learn and improve your English language skills
Citizenship & Newcomers - websites to explore to help you settle in and prepare for your citizenship test
NewToBC - provides newcomers with essential settlement information including immigrant services by community
Refugee Settlement - websites for refugees seeking jobs, mental health counselling and other services