West Vancouver, BC – West Vancouver Memorial Library opens its newest space on Tuesday, March 28th at 2 p.m. The $2M exterior and interior renovation has transformed the late 1970s structure into an expansive, brightly lit community space, connecting lounge areas with natural light and access to views, amongst stacks of inspiring books.
To celebrate the occasion, the Library is inviting the community to a Grand Opening and Afternoon Tea Reception, followed by tours and games. West Vancouver Mayor Michael Smith, Memorial Library Foundation Chair Margaret Rosenfeld and Memorial Library Board Chair David Carter will officiate the ribbon-cutting.
“We are proud to open this important community space,” says Mayor Michael Smith. “This section of the Library has become a bright and attractive area with many senior-friendly features such as high-back reading chairs, low shelves, wide and accessible pathways, and a wide variety of collections. It is designed to support lifelong learning and to be a social hub for the residents of West Vancouver.”
Distinct amenities of the 7,698 sq. ft. space on the Main Floor include:
- A bark feature wall beneath skylights, featuring an innovative and expressionistic imprint of tree trunks on wood veneer with shards of reflecting silver light that create an illusion of outdoor space
- A new comfortable seating lounge with proximity to natural light, the Musto lounge, named after the Library’s first Chief Librarian, Elizabeth Musto
- New furnishings with fabrics inspired by the work of B.C. Binning (1909 – 1976), a leading Canadian artist whose work reflects the colours of West Coast scenery
- 44,000 books arranged by topic area: History, Travel, Biography, Philosophy and Religion, Other Languages, and English Language Leaning
- Full accessibility to catalogue search stations, Large Print and Talking Books, and washrooms
The space also houses the Library’s signature services for people with disabilities and the homebound through the new Assistive Services Office. Ever-helpful and knowledgeable Library staff provide expert assistance with the Library’s alternative format collections and accessible equipment, as well as recommendations for authoritative information resources. The Assistive Services office is open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Infrastructure renewal is an important component of the project and the improvements have all been made within the existing footprint of the building. “Sustaining our physical space is a major priority of the Library Board’s 2016-2020 Strategic Plan,” says Library Board Chair, David Carter. “We are committed to preserving and enhancing our community’s 67-year investment in our current facility to extend its life span. We are providing for new community needs through interior renovations. We’ve increased public seating by 34% in this section of the building.”
Improvements to the infrastructure, originally constructed in 1976, include:
- Structural bracing to improve seismic resilience
- Replacement of the roofing membrane and resurfacing of the parking deck
- Replacement of single-paned, unsealed glazing with high-energy efficient windows and skylights
- New LED overhead lighting, insulation in the walls and ceiling, and integrated heating and cooling systems
- New carpeting, plumbing, electrical wiring and outlets
- Upgraded wireless network with a fast and reliable connection
SHAPE Architecture and ph5 Architecture provided the exterior and interior designs for the project, respectively. For more information on the capital project, visit: https://www.westvanlibrary.ca/our-librarys-future
The Library is deeply grateful to the District of West Vancouver, and the donors of the West Vancouver Memorial Library Foundation, for providing the funding for the project.
Media RSVP for the Grand Opening by March 24 to Celina O’Connor at email@example.com or call 604-925-7407.
Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017
What: Grand opening of West Vancouver Memorial Library’s newest space
Where: 1950 Marine Drive, West Vancouver
Time: 2 p.m. Afternoon Tea Reception
2:30 p.m. Opening Remarks - District of West Vancouver Mayor, Michael Smith
Memorial Library Foundation Chair, Margaret Rosenfeld
Memorial Library Board Chair, David Carter
2:45 – 4 p.m. Tours and Games
For more information or interviews, please contact: Celina O’Connor, Communications Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-925-7407.